Portocristo

477_Porto_CristoPortocristo is a seaside village located at eastern coastline, in a beautiful inlet formed between the cliffs of Morro de sa Carabassa and Sa Punta. The sea penetrates inland, forming an S and creating a natural harbor that houses a Yacht Club with 213 berths, a wharf for fishing boats and a good sandy beach.

There is evidence that Portocristo was already inhabited in prehistoric times. Subsequently, some ruins located near the caves of Hams testify that it was a port in Roman times. The ruins of the early Christian basilica Sa Carrotja (fourth century AD) are another testimony of its Roman past. In 1577 was built a watchtower, Sa Torre des Falcons, to warn of the arrival of pirates and the lighthouse was built in 1855. In the late nineteenth century came to achieve importance as a trading port, especially to exit the wine produced in the region, and for several years there was a ship that was sailing weekly Portocristo - Barcelona.

However, the current village began to develop in 1888 and ended up becoming the summer residence of the inhabitants of Manacor, which always referred to the place as "The Port of Manacor," or simply "The Port”. The toponym Portocristo is attributed to the fact that, as tradition tells, in 1260 some Italian fishermen were able to reach their beach after a strong temporal and they promise left on land a Christ image in the first place in that could land safely. This image is venerated today in the church of Manacor.

The village of Portocristo is designed as a chessboard, with streets running down to the sea, as the street Major (road from Manacor to Portocristo) or the street Concepció and others that pass parallels to the coast. Coming down by the Cristòfol Colom street, which connects the front of the church with the sea, is on the left, the street Bordils, along the beach, from which you can down the beach and the beautiful pedestrian promenade, leading to Ses Coves Blanques a little caves at the foot of the cliff.

Coming down the Cristòfol Colom Street and turning right leads to the Passeig de la Sirena. From there you can down to the docks, where are the Tourist Information Office and the mini cruiser offices. Continuing westwards you can accesses Verí Street, where there are the restaurants Siroco, Baixamar and Sa Pedra, specialized in seafood. Following the fishing docks (Passeig des Riuet) there are the most popular restaurants, “tapas” and “pa amb oli”, as the Cap des Toi and Es Tamarell. For a small bridge we can pass to the other side of the docks and arrive to the Yacht Club. Inside the town stands the restaurant "Sa Sal”. (See: Gastronomy).

In July, the Yacht Club organized, sailing courses for children (Optimist category), and the months of July and August, swimming and diving courses, and regattas throughout the year. At the Club’s building there is the restaurant “Sa Cantina" which serves “tapas” and a terrace bar, "The Blue". See: www.cnportocristo.com. At the Passeig Cap des Toi, 11 (fishing docks) is the diving school Skualo: www.skualo.com.

In the Manacor coast basement there are several caves. Two of them, located in Portocristo, have become major tourist attractions: Caves of Drach and Hams. The first are 2.4 km long, although the route for visitors is reduced by half, and drops to about 25 m deep. Contain an underground lake, Lake Martel, 115 m long and 30 meters wide. The caves were well highlighted by the engineer Carles Buïgas, so it emphasizes the beauty of their formations of stalactites and stalagmites. The visit is about an hour last, including a live concert of 10 minutes and the simulation of the dawn on the lake. From April 1st to October 30th there are daily performances with the next start time: 10:00 am, 11:00 am, 12:00, 14:00 pm, 15:00 pm, 16:00 pm and 17:00 pm: www.covesdeldrac.com. Over one kilometer in the direction of Manacor there is the caves of Hams, smaller than its predecessors, but beautiful aesthetic to its training threads. They also have a lake called “the Sea of Venice" www.cuevas-hams.com.

Other information:

Delegation of the City: The Street Ford, 31 In the same building there is a small public library.

Primary Care Center: On the street Villalonga 6

Aquarium: Located on the street Gamba, 7, between the Yacht Club and the Caves of Drac. It exhibits typical Mediterranean fishes and some exotic specimens from Brazil and Australia.

Supermarkets: At the edge of town, coming from Manacor, there are two supermarkets, Eroski at the left hand and Hiper Centro at the right. There is another Eroski establishment in the output of Portocristo towards Cala Millor.

Petrol stations: There is one at the outskirts of the village towards Cala Millor (Ma-4023) at Ronda de l’Oest, 123; and another about 2 km on the road to Manacor (Ma-4020).  

Market at the street: Every Sunday on the Passeig de la Sirena (esplanade). At the fishing docks can buy fresh fish every morning from Tuesday to Friday.

 

 
  • Mallorca, Cala Anguila
  • Mallorca, Cala Anguila
  • Mallorca, Cala Anguila
  • Mallorca, Cala Anguila
  • Mallorca, Cala Anguila
  • Mallorca, Cala Anguila
  • Mallorca, Cala Anguila
  • Mallorca, Cala Anguila